Director, Center for Scientific Computation in Imaging, UCSD
B.S. Physics, University of California, Berkeley
B.A. English, University of California, Berkeley
Ph.D. Physics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
My primary area of expertise is in diffusion imaging, including pulse sequence development, image reconstruction, and data analysis. At the Center, my research interests are in developing and advancing MR computation and imaging. Currently, I provide leadership and expertise to a diverse and talented group of researchers, including physicists, radiologists, programmers, physiologist, marine biologist, psychologists, and others. The goal of the Center is to bridge the gap between image acquisition and the quantitative understanding of physical systems by facilitating the development of computational and visualization tools. This research will enable researchers to accurately and rapidly estimate, simulate, extract and visualize quantitative information about complex physical systems.
At the Center, we utilize imaging technologies in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and computed tomography (CT) to acquire high resolution, 3-dimensional (3-D), digital data of the anatomical and physiological characteristics of human subjects and animal specimens. Our research projects include:
- AFNI Diffusion Plug-in
- DIFSIM (Diffusion Simulation)
- HARDI (High Angular Resolution Difussion Imaging)
- Pulse Sequences
- Digital Fish Library
Journal Articles in 2015:
- Berquist RM, Galinsky VL, Kajiura SM, Frank LR. The coelacanth rostral organ is a unique low-resolution electro-detector that facilitates the feeding strike. Sci Rep, 5: 8962, 2015. Find
- Galinsky VL, Frank LR. Simultaneous multi-scale diffusion estimation and tractography guided by entropy spectrum pathways. IEEE Trans Med Imaging, 34: 1177-1193, 2015.
- Sorg SF, Schiehser DM, Bondi MW, Luc N, Clark AL, Jacobson MW, Frank LR, Delano-Wood L. White matter microstructural compromise is associated with cognition but not posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms in military veterans with traumatic brain injury. J Head Trauma Rehab (in press, 2015).
Journal Articles in 2014:
- Frank LR, Galinsky VL. Information pathways in a disordered lattice. Phys Rev E, 89: 032142, 2014.
- Galinsky VL, Frank LR. Automated segmentation and shape characterization of volumetric data. Neuroimage, 92: 156-168, 2014.
- Graham JB, Wegner NC, Miller LA, Jew CJ, Lai NC, Berquist RM, Frank LR, Long JA. Spiracular air breathing in polypterid fishes and its implications for aerial respiration in stem tetrapods. Nat Comm, 5: e3022, 2014. Find
- Sorg SF, Delano-Wood L, Luc N, Schiehser DM, Hanson KL, Nation, DA, Lanni E, Jak AJ, Lu K, Meloy MJ, Frank LR, Lohr JB, Bondi MW. White matter integrity in veterans with mild traumatic brain injury: Associations with executive function and loss of consciousness. J Head Trauma Rehabil, 29: 21-32, 2014.
Journal Articles in 2013:
- Baxter GT, Frank LR. A computational model for diffusion weighted imaging of myelinated white matter. Neuroimage, 75C: 212-220, 2013.
- Jacobus J, Thayer RE, Trim RS, Bava S, Frank LR, Tapert SF. White matter integrity, substance use, and risk taking in adolescence. Psychol Addict Behav, 27: 431-442, 2013.
- Rodriguez-Soto AE, Jaworski R, Jensen A, Niederberger B, Hargens A, Frank LR, Kelly KR, Ward SR. Effect of load carriage on lumbar spine kinematics. Spine, 38: 789-791, 2013.
- Tangney JR, Chuang JS, Janssen MS, Krishnamurthy A, Liao P, Hoshijima M, Wu X, Meininger GA, Muthuchamy M, Zemljic-Harpf A, Ross R, Frank LR, McCulloch AD, Omens JH. Novel role for vinculin in ventricular myocyte mechanics and dysfunction. Biophys J, 104: 1623-1633, 2013.
Journal Articles in 2012:
- Berquist RM, Gledhill KM, Peterson MW, Doan AH, Baxter GT, Yopak KE, Kang N, Walker HJ, Hastings PA, Frank LR. The Digital Fish Library: using MRI to digitize, database, and document the morphological diversity of fish. PLoS ONE, 7:e34499, 2012. Find
- Delano-Wood L, Stricker NH, Sorg SF, Nation DA, Jak AJ, Woods SP, Libon DJ, Delis DC, Frank LR, Bondi MW. Posterior cingulum white matter disruption and its associations with verbal memory and stroke risk in mild cognitive impairment. J Alzheimers Dis, 29: 589-603, 2012.
- Krishnamurthy A, Villongco C, Chuang J, Frank LR, Nigam V, Belezzuoli N, Stark P, Krummen D, Narayan S, Omens J, McCulloch A, Kerckhoffs, R. Patient-specific models of cardiac biomechanics. J Comput Phys, 244: 4-21, 2012.
- Krysl P, Bondi MW, Ward S, Frank LR. On sources of error in finite element simulation of blast effects in the human brain. J Comput Nonlinear Dynam, 7: 031008, 2012.
- Lieber R, Ward S, Frank L, Schenk S. New opportunities and novel paradigms to support neuromuscular research. Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am, 23: 95-105, 2012.
- Schweinsburg BC, Scott JC, Schweinsburg AD, Jacobus J, Theilmann RJ, Frank LR, Weber E, Grant I, Woods SP, HIV Neurobehavioral Research Center (HNRC) Group. Altered prefronto-striato-parietal network response to mental rotation in HIV. J Neurovirol, 18: 74-79, 2012.
- Sorg SF, Taylor MJ, Alhassoon OM, Gongvatana A, Theilmann RJ, Frank LR, Grant I. Frontal white matter integrity predictors of adult alcohol treatment outcome. Biol Psychiatry, 71: 262-8, 2012.
- Zhang Y, Liang X, Ma J, Jing Y, Gonzales MJ, Villongco C, Krishnamurthy A, Frank LR, Nigam V, Stark P, Narayan SM, McCullouch AD. An atlas-based geometry pipeline for cardiac Hermite model construction and diffusion tensor reorientation. Med Image Anal, 16: 1130-41, 2012.
Journal Articles in 2011:
- Chakrabarty P, Davis MP, Smith WL, Berquist RM, Gledhill KM, Frank LR, Sparks JS. Evolution of the light organ system in ponyfishes (Teleostei: Leiognathidae). J Morphol, 272: 704-21, 2011.
- Rowe T, Frank LR. The disappearing third dimension. Science, 331: 712-4, 2011.
Journal Articles in 2010:
- Frank LR, Jung Y, Inati S, Tyszka JM, Wong EC. High efficiency, low distortion 3D diffusion tensor imaging with variable density spiral fast spin echoes (3D DW VDS RARE). Neuroimage, 49: 1510-23, 2010.
- Bava S, Theilmann RJ, Sach M, May SJ, Frank LR, Hesselink JR, Vu D, Trauner DA. Developmental changes in cerebral white matter microstructure in a disorder of lysosomal storage. Cortex, 46: 206-16, 2010.
- Delano-Wood L, Bondi MW, Jak AJ, Horne NR, Schweinsburg BC, Frank LR, Wierenga CE, Delis DC, Theilmann RJ, Salmon DP. Stroke risk modifies regional white matter differences in mild cognitive impairment. Neurobiol Aging, 31: 1721-31, 2010.
- Chuang JS, Zemljic-Harpf A, Ross RS, Frank LR, McCulloch AD, Omens JH. Determination of three-dimensional ventricular strain distributions in gene-targeted mice using tagged MRI. Magn Reson Med, 64: 1281-8, 2010.
- Fryer MS, Schweinsburg BC, Bjorkquist OA, Frank LR, Mattson SN, Spadoni AD, & Riley EP. Characterization of white matter microstructure in fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Alcohol Clin Exp Res, 33: 1-8, 2009.
- Tyszka JM, Frank LR. High-field diffusion MR histology: Image-based correction of eddy current ghosts in diffusion-weighted ra[id acquisition with relaxation enhancement (DW-RARE). Magn Reson Med, 61: 728-33, 2009.
- Runcie RM, Dewar H, Hawn D, Frank LR, Dickson KA. Evidence for cranial endothermy in the opah (Lampris guttatus). J Exp Biol, 212: 461-70, 2009.
- Stricker NH, Schweinsburg BC, Delano-Wood L, Wierenga CE, Bangen KJ, Haaland KY, Frank LR, Salmon DP. Decreased white matter integrity in late-myelinating fiber pathways in Alzheimer's disease supports retrogenesis. Neuroimage, 45: 10-6, 2009.
- Gongvatana A, Schweinsburg BC, Taylor MJ, Theilmann RJ, Letendre SL, Alhassoon OM, Jacobus J, Woods SP, Jernigan TL, Ellis RJ, Frank LR, Grant I. White matter tract injury and cognitive impairment in HIV-infected individuals. J Neurovirol, 15: 187-95, 2009.
- McQueeny T, Schweinsburg BC, Schweinsburg AD, Jacobus J, Bava S, Frank LR, Tapert, SF. Altered white matter integrity in adolescent binge drinkers. Alcohol Clin Exp Res, 33: 1278-85, 2009.
- Balls G, Frank LR. A simulation environment for diffusion weighted MR experiments in complex media. Magn Reson Med, 62: 771-8, 2009.
- Bava S, Frank LR, McQueeny T, Schweinsburg BC, Schweinsburg AD, Tapert SF. Altered white matter microstructure in adolsecent substance users. Psychiatry Res, 173: 228-37, 2009.
- Yopak KE, Frank LR. Brain size and brain organization of the whale shark, Rhincodon typus, using magnetic resonance imaging. Brain Behav Evol, 74: 121-42, 2009.
- Jacobus J, McQueeny T, Bava S, Schweinsburg BC, Frank LR, Yang TT, Tapert SF. White matter integrity in adolescents with histories of binge drinking and marijuana use. Neurotoxicology Teratol, 31: 349-55, 2009.
- Buracas G, Wong EC, Liu T, Buxton R, Frank LR. Imaging periodic currents using alternating balanced steady state free precession. Magn Reson Med, 59: 140-8, 2008.
- Frank LR, Lu K, Wong E. Perfusion tensor imaging. Magn Reson Med, 60: 1284-91, 2008.
- Fryer MS, Frank LR, Spadoni AD, Theilmann RJ, Nagel BJ, Schweinsburg BC, Tapert SF. Microstructurural integrity of the corpus callosum linked with neuropsychological performance in adolsecents. Brain Cogn, 67: 255-44, 2008.
- Rogers BL, Lowe CG, Fernandez-Juricic E, and Frank LR. Utilizing magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to assess the effects of angling-induced barotraumas in rockfish (Sebastes). Can J Fish Aquat Sci, 65: 1245-1249, 2008.
- Schulteis G, Archer C, Tapert SF, Frank LR. Intermittent binge alcohol exposure during the periadolescent period induces spatial working memory deficits in young adult rats. Alcohol, 42: 459-67, 2008.
Journal Articles in 2007:
- Costandi PN, McCulloch AD, Omens JH, Frank LR. High resolution longitudinal MRI of the transition to heart failure. Magn Reson Med, 57: 714-720, 2007.
- Perry CN, Cartamil DC, Bernal D, Sepulveda CA, Theilmann RJ, Graham JB, Frank LR. Quantification of red myotomal muscle volume and geometry in the shortfin mako shark (Isurus oxyrinchus) and the salmon shark (Lamna ditropis), using T1-weighted magnetic resonance imaging. J Morph, 268: 284-92, 2007.
- Sepulveda CA, Dickson KA, Frank LR, Graham JB. Cranial endothermy and a putative brain heater in the most basal tuna species, Allothunnus fallai. J Fish Biol, 70: 1720-1733, 2007.
- Tapert SF, Schweinsburg AD, Drummond SP, Paulus MP, Brown SA, Yang TT, Frank LR. Functional MRI of inhibitory processing in abstinent adolescent marijuana users. Psychopharmacology, 194:173-83, 2007.